Wednesday 2 February 2011

To Stalk or Not to Stalk?

Something which has come up a lot recently in conversations with friends, is "internet stalking". So my question is this "to stalk or not to stalk"?

In this ever-changing world of the global internet and social networking, we find ourselves tempted on a daily basis to check out new friends, new lovers, or work colleagues in an endeavour to find out all about them, or even some gossip...and when you think about it even just 15 years ago we had no such possibility. We were not able to take an in depth look at someone's profile and life rather we talked with friends (or whoever we could!) to find out more...or shock horror actually talked to the person.

I wonder whether having the possibility to view all this information actually helps or harms? I mean sure it's possible to take a cyber view of a person, but this to me is still just an overview of what that person is really all about.

Recently I joined the world of internet dating, (yes finally it happened after many conversations with friends about why yes you should do this!!), and every time I receive an email from a guy I immediately check out their photos and profile...who doesn't?!!? On the whole I've been messaging with seemingly good guys and have met a couple already. One in particular I saw the other day for a coffee, and he was more than happy for me to connect with him on Facebook too. I on the other hand was a little reluctant, and I am not usually one to be like this. I think deep inside I am still a little wary of the whole internet dating world, and perhaps messaging and one coffee doesn't quite make me ready to hand over my Facebook profile too, even if I immediately checked his profile (or as much as I could via privacy settings!!). So lets wait to see on that one...unfortunately I do still hear stories about internet dating saga's, and perhaps a little restraint isn't such a bad thing?

The other side is a friend who insists, well if he's a lover then he ain't my friend so why become Facebook friends? Or the fact that we delete or limit someone as soon as they hurt or betray us. In the end social networks such as My Space, LinkedIn, Inter Nations and Facebook can be as public or private as we want them to be so it is a very individual decision about how much personal information to let out to the greater cyber world...and also a very individual decision about how much to believe about that person you are thinking about stalking right now!!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment